Strategic Integration Biographies
Dr. John Pellegrino
Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army (Strategic Integration)
Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Army (Installations, Energy & Environment)
From January 2011 to May 2015, Dr. Pellegrino served as the Director of the Computational and Information Sciences Directorate and Chief Information Officer (CIO) of the Army Research Laboratory (ARL). In that role he is responsible for fundamental research and its transition in the areas of Network and Information Sciences, Cyber Defense, High Performance Computing, and Battlefield Environments. This includes research program development and coordination, technology transition, and support to current forces, as well as responsibility for laboratory network operations. He also had technical oversight of the state-of-the-art high performance computing assets, computational capabilities, and wide area networking methodologies for ARL, Army, and DoD.
From July 2012 until March 2013, Dr. Pellegrino served as the Acting Director of ARL, the Army's premier laboratory for fundamental research and analysis. ARL conducts research and analysis in weapons and materials, sensors and electron devices, computational and information sciences, human research and engineering, vehicle technology, and survivability and lethality analysis. ARL's Army Research Office executes the Army extramural basic research program in scientific and engineering disciplines. The laboratory consists of approximately 2,000 military and civilian employees with annual revenue of over $1 billion.
From September 1998 to January 2011, he served as the Director of the Sensors & Electron Devices Directorate of the Army Research Laboratory, with responsibility for fundamental research and its transition in the areas of sensors, electronics, and signal processing.
His team also guides the full range of continuous process improvement and business transformation activities, while integrating a diverse number of strategic communications initiatives, which include: Army-directed campaigns (e.g., Base Realignment and energy), specific publications and marketing materials, as well as specific engagements, displays, and presentations. He also directs the activities of the Army Environmental Sustainability Agency (AESA), which includes four Regional Environmental and Energy Offices (REEOs).
• June 2015 – Present: Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army (Strategic Integration), Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Army (Installations, Energy, & Environment)
• Jan 2011 – May 2015: Director, Computational and Information Sciences Directorate and Chief Information Officer (CIO) of the Army Research Laboratory, Adelphi, MD
• 1 July 2012 – March 2013: Acting Director, US Army Research Laboratory, Adelphi, MD
• Sep 1998 – Jan 2011: Director, Sensors & Electron Devices Directorate of the Army Research Laboratory, Adelphi, MD • Jan 2004 - May 2004: Acting Deputy Director, ARL
• Sep 1996 – Sep 1998: Acting Director, Sensors & Electron Devices Directorate of the Army Research Laboratory, Adelphi, MD
• Mar 1995 – Aug 1996: Division Chief, Electro-Optics and Acoustics Division, Army Research Laboratory, Adelphi, MD
• Mar 1993 – Mar 1995: Division Chief, Signal and Information Processing Division, Army Research Laboratory, Adelphi, MD
• PhD, Physics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1981
• MS, Physics, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1980
• BA, Physics, Gordon College, Wenham, MA, 1976
• Level III in Systems Planning, Research, Development, and Engineering
Awards and Honors:
• United Kingdom MoD Commendation Award for the Network & Information Science International Technology Alliance, 2015
• Superior Civilian Service Award, 2013 & 2003
• SPIE President's Award, 2010 • Presidential Rank Award, Meritorious Executive, 2009
• U.S. Army Research and Development Achievement Award, 1994 & 1997
• Harry Diamond Laboratories Hinman Award for Technical Achievement, 1986
Professional Memberships and Associations:
• Member of the Army Acquisition Corps
• Fellow of SPIE • Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers • Member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
• Member of Sigma Xi (The Scientific Research Society)
• Member of Optical Society of America
• Chair of the Office of Secretary of Defense Energy and Power Technologies Initiatives (Jan 2002 – Sep 2009)
• Chair of Joint Technology Office High Energy Laser Solid State Technical Area Working Group (Oct 2002 – Sep 2005)
• Army Representative to the Defense Department Advisory Group on Electron Devices (1996-2008)
• Author/co-author of over two dozen technical papers, reports, and books in the areas of optics, electronics, and signal and information processing.